Tuesday, July 11, 2006

This Moment In Classic Rock: Rainbow


Yesterday, while auditioning for a Domino’s pizza commercial (Yes, I know that may be the saddest start to any sentence ever), I- against all odds- ran into rock singer Joe Lynn Turner, whom classic rock fans should know from his work with such legendary bands as Deep Purple and Rainbow (He also sang with Yngwie Malmsteen for a bit too). Apparently Joe wrote the commercial for the Domino’s pizza commercial it is highly unlikely I will be in.

Anyway, meeting Joe Lynn Turner (who was super nice and has incredible hair) got me thinking about Rainbow. Joe was the third singer for Rainbow after Ronnie James Dio and Graham Bonnet. Rainbow had some pretty sweet tunes with all three singers, but I’m particularly a sucker for “Since You've Been Gone” featuring Graham Bonnet. A lot of Rainbow fans thought the band had sold out and gone too commercial with this song, but I’m a sucker for this sort of thing so I say bring it on.

Getting back to Joe Lynn Turner however, he joined the band after Rainbow guitarist and band leader Ritchie Blackmore kicked Graham Bonnet out of the band for getting all wasted onstage at Castle Donington in 1980. And Joe did a bang up job if you ask me.

What is my point with all of this, you ask? Well, I’m not really sure. But I hope you enjoy this song and video on some level or another. It sure beats the crap out of the Kelly Clarkson song of the same name. Dammit.

Thanks for rocking, as they say.

Dave Hill