Friday, June 08, 2007

I Am An Attender Of Concerts


It is Friday afternoon and I am living the dream/nightmare as usual, doing laundry, drinking coffee, and typing on the computer and whatnot. This past week I saw a couple great shows here in the Big City. On Tuesday, I saw Rufus Wainwright at the Gramercy Theatre. He was excellent and had some pretty incredible outfits too, including the lederhosen he wore on Letterman. He played mostly songs from his new album “Release The Stars” plus a few from the “Want” albums and then some Judy Garland hits. Rufus’ sister Lucy opened the show and she was really great too. You should go buy her new EP on iTunes. You will be glad you did. In fact if you don’t I will kick you in the nuts. Dammit.

On Wednesday, I kept the mayhem coming by going to see Dinosaur Jr. at Irving Plaza, which I guess is now called the Fillmore for some lame reason I can’t begin to understand. As you might imagine, there were a lot of dudes in attendance. This was the second time I’ve seen Dinosaur Jr. on their original lineup reunion tour and they rocked balls once again. They played a lot of old hits from the first three albums, a few from their new album “Beyond”, and then “Out There” and “Feel The Pain,” which was kind of surprising since they are songs from the Barlow-free years. J Mascis was shredding in top form too, so that was nice. I am a big fan of shredding. It’s important to make shredding a part of each and every day if you ask me. In fact, when I get done typing this I will probably shred for a bit. That’s just how I live my life.

I am realizing as I’m typing this that I probably wouldn’t make that good of a concert reviewer. I pretty much either like something or I don’t. I occasionally love something though and would put the above two shows in that category. So there.

Okay, I am going to go back to being brain dead for now. Thanks for reading. You are the best. And I’m pretty crazy about your new hair too. Keep up the good work.

Dave Hill

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you know I just got my hair cut? Also, you always say I seem nice--which is true too. If you have any self-respect, please stop surveilling me.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I was pretty surprised about it now you come to mention it. I let my brother have a crack at it to save money, although he has never cut anyone's hair before. I expected him to be kind of tentative but he went steaming in with the shears and hacked way more off than I expected. But you're right, it totally works and tells the world they're dealing with a modern woman. I cut my own fringe though (or in American, "them Bangs") which went a little lopsided so I'm styling to the side now instead of central, but not emo. I'm getting away with it.

JCE

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home