Monday, December 10, 2007

Monday, Monday (Like The Song)


Mondays- am I right? It’s cold and gray outside and I am using that as an excuse to kick slightly less ass than I normally tend to kick on a regular basis. Anyway, yesterday I was watching an old episode (1971) of “The Dick Cavett Show” (in the popular DVD format) that featured the Smothers Brothers, George Burns (and his toupee), and nutritionist Adelle Davis. If you’ve never seen “The Dick Cavett Show,” I suggest you pick up one of the DVDs immediately. It was such a great show and unlike anything on television today. Dick’s show featured an eclectic mix of guests (When was the last time you saw a nutritionist on a late night talk show, for example?) engaging in a seemingly natural and unscripted conversation that wasn’t centered around promoting a new movie or TV show. I wish there were something like it on TV today. Untl then, I’ll keep watching these DVDs, dammit. Shit. Piss. F.

Particularly interesting on the episode of “The Dick Cavett Show” was the conversation with nutritionist Adelle Davis (pictured above, she was into tennis apparently). Even though the conversation took place 36 years ago, it turns out the keys to eating right were pretty much the same back then as they are today. The general rule is to stay away from bullshit (refined and overprocessed foods). The problem is bullshit tends to be delicious. I know because I eat a lot of it. Adelle Davis, on the other hand, didn’t eat much bullshit. Still, that didn’t stop her from dying at the age of 70, just three years after she was on “The Dick Cavett Show.” As of today, I have started eating just slightly healthier though thanks to Adelle. And with any luck I will beat Adelle’s lifespan by at least a couple weeks. That is the plan anyway. Unless, of course, I die in a plane crash or a sword fight. Then I could go at any time really. Life is unpredictable. Cherish every moment.

In other news, today I got an e-mail from a guy who used to be in the Atlanta Rhythm Section. It turns out he saw my post from yesterday and just wanted to say thanks. How cool is that? Maybe I will try writing about Rip Taylor (above) soon and see what happens. Life is unpredictable. Cherish every moment- especially if Rip Taylor e-mails you, which would be so awesome that it’s not even fucking funny. In the interest of full disclosure, however, I must admit that I did once get a phone call from Rip Taylor (true story) and it was incredible. If his e-mail skills are half as good as his phone skills, well, let’s just say I really cannot wait to get that e-mail from Rip Taylor.

Finally, here is a video by the popular sketch comedy troupe Dutch West. I am totally friends with them and I am totally in this video. I hope you enjoy it so much. You are the best. And Rip Taylor is awesome and should feel free to write me any time. I would be thrilled.

Wait- one last thing. I’ve just read the setlist from Led Zeppelin’s show tonight in London. My friend Will was there and said they were awesome. I wish I had been there. They are the best band ever period. I’m sure this has been posted all over the Internet already, but here’s what they played:

1. Good Times, Bad Times
2. Ramble On
3. Black Dog
4. In My Time Of Dying
5. For Your Life
6. Trampled Under Foot
7. Nobody's Fault But Mine
8. No Quarter
9. Since I've Been Loving You
10. Dazed and Confused
11. Stairway To Heaven
12. The Song Remains the Same
13. Misty Mountain Hop
14. Kashmir

Encore:

15. Whole Lotta Love
16. Rock and Roll

Sounds like it was a scorcher.

Dave Hill

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave. I love reading your blog, but today I'm a bit sensitive. I'm not thrilled with the depictions of people with disabilities in the clip above. I know you didn't write it, but here's an organization I volunteer for: http://www.peoplefirstofcanada.ca/index_en.php
We're currently trying to inform people about the errors of institutionalization. Take care.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home