Monday, November 03, 2008

London Invasion Part 1


It’s Monday and I’ve been in London now since Halloween (which I didn’t think they celebrated here but it turns out they do. Maybe we’re not so different after all). As rumored on the Internet and in much of English literature, it is cold and rainy here. Also, I am having trouble mastering how to flush the toilets over here. It takes a few tries usually. I can’t figure out if it’s me or the toilet that’s the problem (signs point to me). I will keep you posted.

I performed at my first set on Saturday at the 100 Club as part of the Fix Magazine’s monthly show. Things went pretty well, which is to say I didn’t get pelted with anything during my set, so I’m considering it one for the win column. The other acts on the bill were great- John Shuttleworth, Tim Key, Pappy’s Fun Club, host Harry Deansway, and an impromptu set by a Scottish comedian named Stephen (I can’t remember his last name). Everyone was really funny. I had trouble understanding their accents from time to time, but I imagine people had the same problem with me what with my crazy American talking and all. Now that I think about it, a lot of people in America don’t understand my accent either.

The 100 Club itself is really cool. It’s an old club where I’m told they have mostly jazz now but over the years it seems like just about everyone of note has played there- the Stones, Metallica, Oasis, B.B. King, and probably anyone else you could think of. And now me too. Yeah! That’s a picture of me standing next to a wall of photos in the club. I pretty much nailed it with the hair.

After the show, a bunch of us went out for drunken Chinese food in London’s Chinatown before heading over to a nearby hotel bar for a nightcap I probably didn’t need. Then it was back to my hotel to try to figure out how to work the TV and give the toilet another shot. I have pretty much mastered the TV I am proud to say. The toilet will be conquered soon.

Dave Hill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home