Thursday, December 14, 2006

Assorted Sweetness


I have been back in New York City for approximately 40 hours and so far it has been pretty great. Admittedly, I have probably slept about 1/3 of that time, but even then I was totally kicking ass without even trying.

For some reason I have been obsessed with the song “Year Of The Cat” by Glaswegian singer/songwriter Al Stewart even since I got back. I have listened to it probably twenty times since I’ve come back to the Big City. It was a big hit for Al back in 1976 and with good reason- aside from being an awesome song in general, it is one of the only songs I can think of off the top of my head that features both an acoustic and electric guitar solo, a piano solo, and a saxophone solo. I suggest you seek it out and listen to it over and over again today. It rules so much it’s not even fucking funny. Nice work, Al.

In other news, last night I went and showed some of my futuristic videos at Ash Wednesday, the popular comedic show that goes on every Wednesday at the Magnet Theater here in town. Ash Wednesday is one of the first shows I ever did here in New York City and I always have good times whenever they have me on. You should totally go to the show sometime, dammit. Chris, Rachel, and Stan (the Ash Wednesday folks) are super funny people and super nice too.

The night before last I went to see my friend Kristen Schaal, the popular star of stage and screen, perform with her futuristic children’s theatre group the Striking Viking Story Pirates. They perform stories written by small children. You might think that sounds like something you might want to run in the other direction away from immediately, but it was totally awesome and inspiring and super funny. My favorite part was a video they made for a song about sleepovers. It pretty much changed my life. I hope I get to see it again and again someday soon.

At the show, I ran into my friend Reggie, who is a super-talented performer and musician with pretty much the best hair I’ve seen in a long, long time. When the show was finished, Reggie, Kristen, and I jumped on the A train downtown to go to a bar that Kristen was all fired up about and with good reason because it was good times and they gave us lots of free peanuts, which we were all pretty happy about, so much in fact that I am still thinking about it two days later. That is a picture of Reggie, Kristen, and me totally riding the fuck out of the subway above. We were so awesome at riding that fucking subway that motherfuckers could not even handle that shit. Shit, fuck, piss, damn.

Once we got off the subway, we headed over to the bar referenced in the previous paragraph and totally talked and laughed and drank and ate peanuts. Then we left and Kristen got on the subway. Reggie and I walked a couple blocks and ran into a homeless guy named Juan who told us a fun story about getting locked inside a grocery store overnight and eating all the sandwiches he could handle. It was not unlike the popular film “Adventures In Babysitting” only a lot more cold cut-related.

Dave Hill

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,
As a recent convert to Plasma and Hi Def, when is your soon to be wildly successful show about Miami going to be on INHD as I am looking forward to watching it on my wildly awesome 42 inch plasma TV that I decided to buy for myself instead of buying mosquito nets for the dying children of Africa? I must warn you that people look a little bizare on closeups in Hi Def and at 42 inches of awesome plasma. You look like you may have a large mellon so you may want to stay away from the awesome close ups.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Dude,
In keeping with the spirit of that other comment, I just got cable for the first time ever in my whole life, like literally fifteen minutes ago, and you're totally on Current right now. I mean, you just were. Dude that was awesome.
P.S. my tv is CRT and a lot smaller than that other guy's

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone knows that no one with a small head ever made it in showbiz and in fact the larger the head the better, I don't see that changing just because of new technologies. Dave has the large head and the Jean-Paul Belmondo scar (oh yeah, and all sorts of kinds of talents) so there really is no way he can lose.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home