Monday, June 23, 2008

Weekend In Review


Mondays- am I right?

It was an action-packed weekend full of all sorts of mayhem. On Friday night, one of my hot rock bands Children of the Unicorn played at Fontana’s to what is known in the trade as a “small but appreciative crowd.” I broke a string during the set from all my shredding, which hasn’t happened in a while. I guess I was just bringing a little extra heat or something. You’ll get that sometimes. I didn’t stick around for too much hangin’ and bangin’ after the show because I had to get up early on Saturday.

Saturday was spent shooting stuff that will appear at some point on cable television and also the Internet in conjunction with the upcoming election that everyone is talking about. I will keep you posted. After a long day of shooting, I headed over to Karma over there on First Avenue to do Greg Barris’ Heart of Darkness show, which was a lot fun despite the smoky basement. It’s weird how just a few years after the smoking ban I wonder how we all put up with that foul air all the time. Ah, we were just kids then, kids who loved to smoke like the wind!

I was pretty tired from shooting all day on Saturday so I ended up heading home soon after my set in that smoky basement. I stopped off along the way to stuff my face with some Italian food in hopes of recreating some of the magic from my trip to Italy. It didn’t work though. The shit just didn’t deliver even though the restaurant I went to was one of my favorite places to go pre-Italy trip. I guess maybe I’m ruined for a while. I did pick up a bottle of grappa before making the climb up to my apartment and that seemed to do the trick a little bit. I drank a small glass and then hid it from myself so I wouldn’t get into too much trouble. So far, so good.

Yesterday I went to the New York Bar Show over there at the Jacob Javits Center to make a new funtime Internet video that should hopefully totally be on the Internet sometime soon. As hinted at in the name, the New York Bar Show is all about the bar and alcohol industry and everything that goes along with it (except for the groping). They had all sorts of new liquors for the tasting that folks are hoping become really popular in America. There were also self-cleaning toilets (really something), mechanical bulls (harder than I expected), and free pizza (pizza-like in nature). Taking in all of that stuff in just a couple hours was a lot for my system to handle but I did my best to take it like a man. This morning I woke up with a headache and a big bruise on my wrist and was disturbed to remember that it was a mechanical bull and some drink called the “Skittle” that were most likely to blame. Oh, well anything for show business.

After the bar show mayhem, I headed over to the Beauty Bar to do a set on Vince Averill and Jesse Popp’s show. It was fun but dammit I was still really feeling the repercussions from the bull and the Skittle. I headed out right after the show and downed a pint of ice cream before I went to bed in hopes that I would wake up with something, anything else to blame for feeling lousy when I woke up this morning. Didn’t really work. I still feel like crap and now I just have one more (delicious) thing to blame.

In other news, last week my friend Kurt Hernon swung by my apartment to take some photos of my rock band Valley Lodge for our Japanese album that is supposed to come out soon. That is one of the photos above. Not too shabby. But I still can’t get the hair right. Some day, some day.

Dave Hill

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Rammer said...

Nice pic of the band. I just cannot help but notice your feet. Phil's too. Your feet look a bit crinkled and war torn, but still cute. Phil's feet...for god's sake, I hope he paints his toenails and that it's not some kinda fungus growing on his toenails.

Looking forward to the Rock.

ToddR

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home