Monday, December 01, 2008

Killer Workout, Mark Messier, Black Metal Movie, And Other Things Of Great Importance


I’ve just returned from yet another seriously killer workout at the gym, where I pretty much tore that elliptical machine a new one. People were all looking at me like “Is that thing made to go that fast?” And I was all like “It better be.” While I was there I watched something on the MSG network about hockey’s Mark Messier and his excellent career playing the fuck out of hockey. When I was a kid, I got Mark’s autograph in Pittsburgh before he was about to go in and play against the Penguins. About a dozen or so years later I met him again at a fancy party and I was all like “I met you when I was a kid and my dad drove me to Pittsburgh to see you play. Um, do you remember?” He didn’t. I was really excited just the same. He is one of the greats. He also did a Lay’s potato chip commercial. One of my other heroes Chris Elliott did a Doritos commercial. Here you can see the Chris on David Letterman in a clip where he gets to hang out with some of the New York Rangers, the team Messier last played for. The many coincidences here are startling:

In other news, this past weekend I watched the black metal documentary “Until the Light Takes Us.” As most people know, I am pretty much the King of Black Metal, so this was right up my alley. But even if you have never even heard of Black Metal, this movie is really great to watch. It’s fascinating, super dark, funny, and beautiful all at once. Go see that shit if you can.

In still other news, this weekend I also ate dinner at L’Artusi, the new restaurant opened by the guys who opened Dell’ Anima, the excellent Italian restaurant near my apartment. I love Dell’ Anima, so I was excited to try their new joint. It was awesome- great pastas, meats, fish, wine, and more. Go to either of those places and if you’re not completely satisfied, you can hunt me down and kick me in the nuts. They are Dave-approved.

And finally- apropos of nothing- I leave you with the Smiths, one of the greatest bands of all-time, playing “Headmaster Ritual” in Madrid a long time ago. Awesome.

Dave Hill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home