Wednesday, July 19, 2006

On The Mexican Border




Today I went to the Mexican border to hang out with Minutemen. For real. For the unitiated, Minutemen are people who take it up on themselves to help secure the U.S. borders against invasion by illegal aliens or- in this case- Mexicans. It was pretty interesting. And hot. All I could think of when I stared over into Mexico was all the delicious food that must be just a short distance away once I climbed over those barbed wire fences, but the Minutemen told me it really wasn’t like that and that I totally shouldn’t climb over the fence. I had fun anyway though. It was kind of like being in the popular movie “Kill Bill” and then some other movie that involves the desert at some point.

Anyway, the top picture is of the Mexican border in Palominas, Arizona. The closer fence (if you can see it) is the one built by the Minutemen. It’s not that tall and looks like it would be easy to hop over but the Minutemen were still pretty sure it was a really good fence even though I kept telling them it wasn’t. The fence behind that one is the one built by the U.S. government at some point or another. It’s a pretty crappy fence too, which is something the Minutemen agreed with me about.

We didn’t end up seeing any Mexicans trying to cross the border but we did see some driving by, which was exciting for me. I took some more pictures too. The second one is of some branches and rocks on the ground and then there is also the shadow of me taking the picture. As you can tell, it is artistic in nature. The picture below that is of my arm. I forgot to put sunscreen on my arms and they got a serious sunburn. It’s actually not that painful unless I think about it, in which case it really is.

As I type this, I am in Los Angeles where I just showed up an hour or so ago. More hijinx on the books for tomorrow. And hopefully more Mexicans. I’m on their side.

Dave Hill

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's totally thrilling that you're posting regular blog entries. I'd comment further but Hefe has arrived to the office...

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home