Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Getting Out Of Dodge, Which In This Case Is Los Angeles


After what feels like roughly six months here in Los Angeles (8 days on the Roman calendar), I am finally gearing up to head back to scenic Brooklyn for a few days. As much as I generally prefer to not be in Los Angeles, I’ve had a pretty good time here eating a lot and seeing a few friends and whatnot during my stay. I have to run around town this afternoon and pick up a few suitcases full of money before I go but after that I am off to the airport where I hope to fall into a deep coma until my plane shows up in NYC early tomorrow morning.

As far as the most recent round of ruling the fuck out of this place goes, however, yesterday I went to visit my friends Jenni and Ali on the set of an exciting new TV show they are making. It was a very Hollywood moment for me- lots of lights and cameras and people with headsets and clipboards and stuff. For some reason I kept being afraid that I would get in some big crazy chase across the set with a dog and a monkey and then a bunch of lighting rigs would fall over and there would be sparks everywhere and then some Hollywood starlet would get all mad at me because a bunch of mud or something got splashed in her face. And then everyone would stare at me and be all like “Dave! Dammit- you ruined everything! You are no longer welcome in this town! Just go!” And then I would just hold my hands up at my sides and have an embarrassed look on my face. Fortunately, however, I don’t have a dog or a monkey so I pretty much had to worry about just keeping myself out of trouble while they were making the TV show. It went pretty well.

The TV show was being made on the "Paramount lot", which is showbiz lingo for the big place where Paramount Pictures makes TV shows and movies and stuff. That is me standing there in the visitor parking area above. If you look closely, you can see a big water tower off in the distance that says Paramount Pictures all fancy on it. And then over my shoulder there is a big wall that is painted to look just like a blue sky with clouds in it. That is just one example of the magic of Hollywood, a place where pretty much anything is possible. They also have a lot of buffets (craft services they call them out here) where you can eat as much candy as you want, which is great for a guy like me, who really likes candy.

After watching my friends make their TV show, I went to have dinner with my new friend Kitten Natividad. Since we didn’t get to talk too much the night she was on my show out here last week, I thought it would be fun to hang out a bit and chat and whatnot. We ended up getting some sushi near her house and it was good times all around. She is an excellent person. I hope I see her again real soon. That is the two of us standing there and looking into the camera in the photo above. See how we’re smiling? That’s because it’s good times all the time when Kitten and I hang out, chatting and laughing and whatnot. She’s a sweetheart.

Okay, it’s off to the showers now for me. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Dave Hill

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

LA is the happiest place on earth. Didn't you know that? Well, at least Disneyland is. Whatever!

There's no place like California. Never forget that!

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home