Sunday, November 11, 2007

Weekend In Review And Stuff


It’s Sunday night here in the Big City and I have been practicing life avoidance for the past couple hours, which is to say that I have pretty much been dicking around the apartment, thinking about doing stuff of great importance but then not really doing anything at all other than eating ice cream (Ben and Jerry’s Chubby Hubby) and drifting in and out of sleep. Maybe I am not so much avoiding life as I am relaxing, which isn’t so wrong I guess. It’s just that I am trying to take over the world and all so this is kind of getting in the way of that, dammit.

Anyway, this weekend was full of a reasonable amount of excitement despite the rain and other signs of the apocalypse. On Sunday night, Children of the Unicorn played at the Blender Theatre at Gramercy (or whatever it’s called) along with Super 400, the Young Lords, and Rose Hill Drive. That is totally a picture of me rocking out during the show above (photo by Anya Garrett). I am playing my new maple Firebird the fine folks at Gibson hooked me up with. I totally love that guitar. I get excited just looking at it. I hope you do too.

The rock show on Friday was pretty fun, despite it being a for-the-most-part sparsely attended sausage party. I had to split soon after we played so I didn’t get to see any of the other bands besides Super 400, who are a Dave- approved rocking power trio that doesn’t shy away from lots of guitar and bass solos and stuff. You should totally go see them.

Yesterday, I officiated a wedding for the first time in my life. I was kind of nervous about it since I am not licensed or really qualified in any way to do such a thing, but I’m told it went pretty well and- even better- nobody pelted me with tomatoes or anything at any point in the day. The wedding was out in Brooklyn and was tons of fun (as you could probably gather since, you know, I was the minister and all). I promised myself I wasn’t going to drink anything until after the ceremony but once I got there the groom offered me a drink and I accepted it without hesitation. I think it helped me get in the zone a little bit as far as being a minister and stuff goes though. It’s not easy being a minister, you know.

In other news, above is a video by Bathory, the great Swedish viking metal band. This video pretty much has everything a music video should have- vikings, fire, guys on horseback, guys in hooded robes wandering around in the woods, and sacrificial virgins. They don’t make them like this anymore. If you have nine minutes and fourteen seconds to spare, I totally suggest you check it out.

Dave Hill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home