Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Past Few Days In Review


It has been an action-packed past several days, full of all sorts of mayhem and goings-on and whatnot. On Friday, one of my hot rock bands, Children of the Unicorn, opened for the popular English rock band the Wildhearts at Club Exit in Greenpoint as part of the popular CMJ festival. Apparently Club Exit normally operates as a Polish disco of sorts so it was all decked-out like somewhere someone might go to drink Zima or Polish Zima or something and then dance the night away like a motherfucker. It’s always fun when the venue itself brings a little something to the table. As for the rock show, it was our first show in a while. Still, I would like to think we rocked it effectively despite the crappy sound and other fairly standard rock obstacles. After our set, I watched the Wildhearts for a bit (Dave-approved) and then poked my head in down the street at the Black Rabbit, one of my favorite bars in NYC. Sometimes I wish it were in my neighborhood so I could go there all the time. But then it would be in the West Village and there would be a bunch of A-holes showing up. I guess I will just have to make the trek to Greenpoint more often and totally go to that sweet bar and drink the fuck out of shit.

On Saturday, I headed to the Nokia Theater in Times Square to be the official dancer for the Tri-State area’s #3 heavy metal tribute to the Bee Gees, Tragedy, as they opened for the popular jam band Umphrey’s McGee. This was an evening that combined a few things I am generally opposed to- cheesy music venues named after a large corporation and 2007 Times Square for example- but it was still a fun night. I am always glad to put on a tight outfit in the name of rock (and dancing). After the show I even got to see some young girl puke all over the lobby and I felt alive for the first time.

On Sunday night, the mayhem continued as I headed to Union Hall in Park Slope to do the Tearing the Veil of Maya comedy show they have there most Sundays. It was a great lineup with Eugene Mirman, Patton Oswalt, Aziz Ansari, Demetri Martin, and even me. It’s always fun to do shows that I enjoy both as a performance and audience member and this was totally one of those for me. And I really like Union Hall a ton. I wish that was closer to my house too. Then I could totally just go there all the time and stuff and sit and talk and drink and talk some more.

The excitement continued Monday as I was a guest on Leo Allen and Tony Camin’s popular Broin’ Out show at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. Other guests on the show included Joe Mande and Noah Garfinkel, Variety Shac, and Carl Arnheiter. It was a fun time and Shonali Bhowmik played a couple songs that I was digging like a motherfucker. That is a photo of me and Carl that was taken by Anya Garrett during the show above. Look how much we are enjoying ourselves!

Later on Monday night, I ended up heading back to the UCB Theatre to guest host the popular Crash Test show, which featured the very funny comedians Dan Levy, Liam McEneaney, and Julian McCullough. My buddies Brett Gelman and Jon Daly (not the popular golfer of the same name though even I myself have trouble telling them apart sometimes) came out and helped me do some entertaining in between performers and then my man Phil came out and sang a Children of the Unicorn song to close the show. Good times, good times.

As if all of the above weren’t enough for four or five days, last night I went to a bar called Under the Volcano to make a cameo appearance on the futuristic high-definition cable television series “Three Sheets,” which is also on Mojo, the futuristic television network on which my incredible program "The King of Miami" is broadcast like a motherfucker (It is also- for the record- available for download on
Amazon.com. “Three Sheets” host Zane Lamprey is a great and funny guy. Unfortunately, however, he made me drink a bunch of tequila on the show so I feel like twelve bucks right now. I did get a free T-shirt out of it though, so I’m putting this one in the win column.

Now it is Wednesday and I am all like “What is next, dammit?” I am sure I will think of something and it will be incredible. Until then, I leave you with this life-altering photo my friend Carlen just sent me:

Whoever is responsible for this, please keep up the good work. You have made the world a better place.

In other news, I have been listening to Monster Magnet around the house a lot lately. Here is one of their sweet videos.


Dave Hill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home