Friday, August 18, 2006

Some Good Rock Music For You


While staying at my friend Dave’s house out west, I rediscovered a CD I hadn’t listened to in a long time, “Dragline” by Paw, in a pile of CDs he had laying around. It was great to hear it again. Paw was a great band from Lawrence, Kansas who released a total of three full albums before breaking up. A lot of folks describe them as a grunge band, but I think that’s selling them short. They had a whole other thing going on that set them apart from most other guitar-based bands way back in the ‘90s. My first band, Sons of Elvis, had a chance to play on a bill with them at Peabody’s Down Under in Cleveland in 1994 and it was a real treat. They rocked balls. And when Sons of Elvis fell apart, Pat, Tim, and I from the band got together with Paw singer Mark Hennessy a couple times to make some noise. Nothing ever came of it, but it was a lot fun.

Just out of curiousity, I Googled the band just before typing this and read that Mark Hennessy released a book of poetry called “Cue the Bedlam” a few months back. I’m sure it’s worth checking out. He is a talenented mofo. You can read about it here. And on the rock front, you can download my favorite Paw song “Couldn’t Know” right here. It’s too bad they are no longer rocking together, but as my grandfather used to say, all good things must come to an end. Still, I hope that’s not really true.

Dave Hill

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Paw! Nice Call Dave. It still sounds great and gets spun quite often on my hi-fi. Their sound was so raw and scary, made me fear big, whiskey-soaked Kansans. Actually, it made me want to drink whiskey and grow a beard.

They put out another one in 2000, good, but not great.

Another old gem.... "The Nils"

Late 80s, Canadian, too good for words. Cd is available on iTunes!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Jeff, more fellows these days should drink whiskey and grow beards. So please do!
I 'member when there was this contest where everybody at this party I didn't attend in Princeton had to draw either paws or dogs the whole time because whatever group of folks did the most would get a free concert from Paw.
I don't know if they won.
True story.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I met Paw at the Odean in Cleveland when they were on tour with Tesla. I think i was the only Paw fan there that night. The band hurled a few beers and a drum stick to me from stage. I still have them at home. This bad actually changed my life. I been jamming for the last 14 years and i still write their kind of music and i sport the bick fvcking beard to boot... would love to jam with those guys in another life...www.slightbuzz.com

10:15 AM  
Blogger PV Pathfinder said...

They are back! "Reunion show" was last Saturday, Oct 4th at the Bottleneck in Lawrence KS. Here's a few posts I made about the show.
http://throwdowninthevillage.blogspot.com/search/label/PAW

Needless to say, the can still kick some serious ass! I've heard that they might be actually working on a new album, but who knows. Sadly, that whole scene has been dead for a few years.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Musicology said...

music production courses in Delhi
Courses music production
production music courses
production courses music
production Delhi music
music delhi production courses
freelance digital marketing services

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home