Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thai Monk Tattoo


My friend Bob is a cop and clown in Cleveland, my native city. Bob and I first met in high school when he tried to charge me money to get into a party at a friend’s house when the friend in question’s parents were out of town. I refused to pay Bob’s made-up entry fee and we have been friends ever since. To this day, he remains one of the nicest and scariest people I have ever known.

Recently, Bob went to visit family and friends in Thailand and Singapore. One thing led to another and next thing he knew, Bob was in a Buddhist temple getting a Thai Buddhist protection tattoo from some Buddhist monks who were totally in the temple (a popular monk hangout). The tattoo is only given to people the monks consider to be warriors (e.g. cops. I am not sure if Bob’s clown status would have been enough) and is meant to protect them from getting messed up by assorted weapons (i.e. guns, knives, hard candies thrown at extreme speeds when you least expect it). It’s pretty cool. You can get the full and admittedly more academic scoop here. Video documentation is above.

Bob is a warrior and he also has an incredible mustache. I am proud of him for those and other reasons. You also get to see him with his shirt off in this video, a treat for the ladies. I hope you enjoy it so much.

Dave Hill

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

see sak yant dot com they have a multimedia gallery video and articles section on yantpedia, and also a forum on the topic.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog Sir - i appreciate anyone blogging on sak yant or Thai Buddhism/Culture in general.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home